CAREER & TECHNICAL EDUCATION (CTE) PROGRAMS OF STUDY
Students are encouraged to explore all of our CTE program of study. If a student develops an interest in a particular program of study, we encourage them to complete the program of study by taking 3 credits in the field which can be a combination of in-person classes, courses offered by local colleges or universities, and internship/work experiences. When a student completes a program of study they have a special designation at graduation and the school receives valuable funding to support the courses offered at SHS.
A hands-on course to introduce and study food and basic nutrition. Students will learn; how to prepare a variety of foods, read and understand standardized recipes, the proper use of knives and kitchen equipment, how to keep food safe by practicing sanitation and how to prevent kitchen accidents.
- International Foods: Students will learn: how to prepare a variety of foods from around the world, read and understand standardized recipes, the proper use of knives and kitchen equipment, how to keep food safe by practicing sanitation and how to prevent kitchen accidents.
- Food Science: an exploration of the science that goes into food preparation. This includes elements that relate to chemistry and physics and biology associated with the processes that make food fit for consumption. This also includes how the consumption of different types of foods impacts the human body as well as how the composition of food impacts the senses, and, as a result, food preferences. Part of the curriculum includes experiments that demonstrate the science involved.
Students will gain a foundational understanding of all aspects of flight. Students will explore career paths and opportunities in aviation, history of aviation, basic aerodynamics, meteorology, physics, airplane instruments, aviation charts, navigation, weight and balance, and the prediction of airplane performance. In addition, students will have the opportunity to participate in an introductory flight provided by local pilots.
Health Science Careers provides a student experience that develops career ready practices through career exploration in the context of project based learning. All knowledge and skills are career cluster and pathway standards to promote college and career readiness.
- Architectural and Interior Design
- Introduction to Engineering and Design
- Manufacturing Technology
- Woods I and II
- AVID ELECTIVE
- School to Career Internship
- Independent Study